kerbdog - kerbdog
22%
kerbdog - on the turn
78%

Total votes: 9

Ash

old school or new school

Post by Ash »

I think both the albums are belting. For me, it's a battle of the standout tracks.

Earthworks vs Secure.

vigo

old school or new school

Post by vigo »

on the turn does it for me everytime. i love the debut but OTT is just from when i started getting into music properly in the late 90's even though i didn't actually get to hear it all until '98 (shame on me!). i just remember mexican wave and sally being played on that sunday music show on network 2 quite a lot. its not a sell out at all - i don't remember anything else like it at the time really. i suppose that it was influenced quite a lot by being recorded in LA. Its probably my favourite album in terms of sound and production - you can hear everything, its superbly mixed. and the more poppy side of it you can hear in the first album occasionally anyway during the more melodic poppy guitar parts. OTT is one of the finest rock albums by an irish band.

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Re: old school or new school

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

Ahh...but what would a THIRD Kerbdog album sound like...I hope someday to know!
I burn a fire to stay cool.

Phily
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phily »

easy answer would be Wilt but a bit heavier :)
-Sorry For The Record-
My Kerbdog/Wilt Collection
OverPlay.net - a cheap UK/US/IE/+ VPN Service for VOD/Streaming

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

The heaviest songs that Wilt did I believe were I Want It All, (maybe) Expedestrians, Distortion, and Take Me Home...so a bit heavier than those would be nice.  Of course, I really enjoy Wilt songs too.
I burn a fire to stay cool.

Kerbpuppy
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by Kerbpuppy »

Blimey..!

First album for me without a shadow of a doubt... However OTT is still bloody amazing and frankly, the best KD songs were the B sides...

In fact I've just been listening to some early KD stuff on an ipod play list that reminds me of my youth...getting high in people's cars listening to KD, Therapy?, Shihad etc etc.... So yeah, it probably does boil down to what you liked, when and all that...

No need to get shirty about people's music tastes though eh...

throughsilver

Post by throughsilver »

I'm definitely a second album man here. What's funny is that I reckon it's actually way heavier than the debut. That's not just because of the tin-bath production the first album got; if you listen to stuff like 'Severed' or 'On the Turn', they are way heavier tracks than the first album. Personally, Kerbdog suffered from 'End of Green' being my favourite song on it by absolutely miles, while my fave tune on On the Turn can change with the day of the week. The guitars are also beefy as hell.

That's not to hate on the first album. It's just that if they split after only doing the one, I wouldn't even hold them in special regard - they'd be on a Feeder/3 Colours Red/Almighty/Terrorvision level, way below bands like the Wildies, Therapy? or Sugar. As it was, the second album came out and I think it's a classic of any genre. At the time I was all about the heaviness in bands (Sepultura, Machine Head, Entombed etc), and Kerbdog definitely didn't seem like a soft choice in any way.

The years went on, and my taste went into weird stuff (cLOUDDEAD, Lift To Experience, labradford etc), heavier stuff (His Hero Is Gone, Coalesce, Kiss It Goodbye, Corrupted), but still my love for On the Turn remains the same. While I obviously have no issue with people preferring the debut (though it's a bit like preferring the first Kilgore album over the second), talk of the debut being heavier has me scratching my head.

That's my tuppence.
Last edited by throughsilver on Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ontheturn

Post by ontheturn »

have to go with the first self titled debut,i agree ott has some heavy songs but i think the raw larger than life guitars and pounding drums sound of  the first album and the fast pace  will always stand out for me
ould you have a little patience,i know i really didnt mean it.