Ten Years On...

Anything Kerbdog related
throughsilver

Ten Years On...

Post by throughsilver »

Hey everyone. I'm new here, so I thought it might be nice to reminisce about the last Kerbdog album, on account of it came out a decade ago at the end of March.

Personally, the album had a big effect on me. Already a fan of The Wildhearts and Therapy?, I rushed out and bought this album the day it came out; largely thanks to Metal Hammer pimping them so hard. I also thought it was pretty dumb of both Kerrang! and Q to give On the Turn just three out of five, even if the latter magazine was not so surprising. It was a great shame that the band got done so soon after this came out, but that blow has definitely been softened by the staying power of what is really an excellent album.

Anyway, I wrote a little tribute to the album - essentially a little tale of me getting into Kerbdog - on my blog, if you fancy reading it. I'm thinking about doing a top 20 albums of 1997 thing at some point this annum, in which I'll look at the music of the album specifically. It's just frustrating that they got so little commercial success, given that at least half the record is on the level of something like the Foos' 'Everlong'.

Whatever the case, I intend that April 2007, like April 1997, is all about the 'Dog for me.

Anyone fancy joining in the reminiscence?

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Ten Years On...

Post by mexicanwaver »

Tried to read the blog mate, but it says the page cannot be found (or something)
I dance to all the wrong songs. I enjoy all the wrong moves...

ontheturn

Post by ontheturn »

i agree,if i was stranded on a island and had to pick any 2 ablums it would be the self titled dog and on the turn without a doubt.to pick any record out of my cd collection(over 1000 cds) both kerbdog albums would be my top 2 picks.when i listen to a dog album i hear the sincerity in thier music that is so rare is music these days
ould you have a little patience,i know i really didnt mean it.

throughsilver

Post by throughsilver »

mexicanwaver wrote: Tried to read the blog mate, but it says the page cannot be found (or something)
Hmm yeah, that's weird. Try this.

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mexicanwaver »

Your Kerbdog blog makes for an interesting read....it sums up a lot of my own feelings about the band and the OTT album.

I don't think there's any other band that provokes the same reaction/emotion in me as when I hear Kerbdog. They were truly something special and I'm glad I discovered the band back in the 90's, because let's face it, it would've been easy not to notice them (with their limted media coverage and all).
I dance to all the wrong songs. I enjoy all the wrong moves...

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

i enjoyed reading your blog, it's cool to hear that Kerbdog were the soundtrack to a period of someone else life too.
i remember kerrang and metal hammer constantly giving page space to the band towards the release of the first album because the album title kept changing. i think thats whay i checked them out, the fact the the metal mags were paying so much attention to what this new bands debut album was going to be called.
i rented the album from a local library when it was released and copied it on to a cassette that didnt leave my stereo all summer. that was the summer that i first started playing in bands and lost my virginity (the album was playing in the background). theres no tune on the album that i could say is a favorite song but as an album it's my all time because it takes me back to that part of youth when there were no reponsibillities and oppertunities were endless.
i thought i was getting the best present when i heard "on the turn" was being released on my birthday (march 31st) and they were playing the northampton roadmender the following day.i picked up the cd but the show got pulled which really feckin sucked after just hearing such a great new album.
Kerbdog were pretty much the soundtrack to most of my teen and college years and have alot of sentimental value to me.
even after moving to new york in 2001 i still had a friend send me all the wilt releases when they came out. i think the wilt albums are great too but they never achived the elements that made the kerdbog albums so great. Kerbdog had a sound and depth to the music that i never really found in other bands.
o.k. i'm gonna put the beer down and quit my rambling.
thants my input anyway!

throughsilver

Post by throughsilver »

Thanks for the kind words, and it's always cool to hear from other people who dig Kerbdog (and more importantly don't forget about them). Given how great my Kerbdog April was (the iPod became the iDog for a minute there), I have decided to have themed months for other bands I have dug/am digging. So, with a new album and tour knocking about, my May is Wildhearts month. Another great band, and I was very pleasantly surprised to find that their new stuff isn't a disappointment.

I'm planning on writing up a bunch of their albums; maybe even all of them. It'll culminate in my 2007 retrospective, which should neatly tie in both On the Turn and Endless Nameless to a wider context. Who knows - I might then branch out to Therapy? or someone for a future month. It'd be a nice combination of Ireland, Northern England and Northern Ireland, too.

I just wonder if I can keep it going after that. Are there any cool, under-rated 90s bands from the south? Or Scotland? I hope there are more fitting bands than Gun or The Almighty... Anyway, that's my insane plan. If anyone has ideas or feedback, feel free to leave them here or (preferably) on the blog. I might even go into a Wilt phase, seeing as I have both albums and most of their singles (everything up to and including 'Take Me Home').

houghmartin

Post by houghmartin »

ninjated wrote: i enjoyed reading your blog, it's cool to hear that Kerbdog were the soundtrack to a period of someone else life too.
i remember kerrang and metal hammer constantly giving page space to the band towards the release of the first album because the album title kept changing. i think thats whay i checked them out, the fact the the metal mags were paying so much attention to what this new bands debut album was going to be called.
i rented the album from a local library when it was released and copied it on to a cassette that didnt leave my stereo all summer. that was the summer that i first started playing in bands and lost my virginity (the album was playing in the background). theres no tune on the album that i could say is a favorite song but as an album it's my all time because it takes me back to that part of youth when there were no reponsibillities and oppertunities were endless.
i thought i was getting the best present when i heard "on the turn" was being released on my birthday (march 31st) and they were playing the northampton roadmender the following day.i picked up the cd but the show got pulled which really feckin sucked after just hearing such a great new album.
Kerbdog were pretty much the soundtrack to most of my teen and college years and have alot of sentimental value to me.
even after moving to new york in 2001 i still had a friend send me all the wilt releases when they came out. i think the wilt albums are great too but they never achived the elements that made the kerdbog albums so great. Kerbdog had a sound and depth to the music that i never really found in other bands.
thants my input anyway!

Are you the same guy thats on the WoM Therapy Board?

I'm up in Western MA (Springfield).  Fortunately I was still in the UK when Wilt were still going so managed to see them plenty of times before they went the same way as KD. 

I remember my mate Deano caught a KD drumstick at the first 'dog show he saw at Stoke Wheatsheaf back in 1993.  Wonder if he still has it?  My first show (I couldn't make that one for some reason) was the tour with Therapy in 1994. 

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

houghmartin wrote:
ninjated wrote: i enjoyed reading your blog, it's cool to hear that Kerbdog were the soundtrack to a period of someone else life too.
thants my input anyway!

Are you the same guy thats on the WoM Therapy Board?

I'm up in Western MA (Springfield).  Fortunately I was still in the UK when Wilt were still going so managed to see them plenty of times before they went the same way as KD. 

I remember my mate Deano caught a KD drumstick at the first 'dog show he saw at Stoke Wheatsheaf back in 1993.  Wonder if he still has it?  My first show (I couldn't make that one for some reason) was the tour with Therapy in 1994. 

yeah i'm animalbones on the therapy? message board