Kerbdog B sides album

Anything Kerbdog related
dragginthru
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Kerbdog B sides album

Post by dragginthru »

Whilst sorting out my music collection I thought "Wouldnt it be nice if there was a 'proper' Kerbdog B sides album that could be bought on Amazon etc, a real CD of high quality tracks with artwork etc"

Im sure if such an album existed, that all the fans on this forum would like to own it.

Id be up for coordinating this if people think its a possibility?

And Im thinking, all proceeds to charity too...
ttp://www.myspace.com/dryriseband - check out Dry Rise cover of Kerbdog's "Dragging Through" - online to hear now!!! :D

danny141
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Re: Kerbdog B sides album

Post by danny141 »

yep, it would.

Maybe a mix of live tracks aswell. I'd buy it for same with the Hammer alone.

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

A b-sides album would be great, especially if Kerbdog members could publish some unreleased material for the first time... (ah-HEM, "Soaking Wet"?)

Maybe it could be and iTunes, etc. download only release or on myspace or something.

Ooh, and how about a CD of Kerbdog b-sides covered by other artists?  Dry Rise started the trend.  I call dibs on  "Self-Inflicted!"  hehehe
I burn a fire to stay cool.

dragginthru
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by dragginthru »

Yeah a "tribute" CD could be good too!
Could call it Dummy Crushers - A tribute to Kerbdog :)

Oh Danny if you want a good same with the hammer copy i can mail you it, i ripped it from vinyl and optimised it a bit so PM me if you want it!
ttp://www.myspace.com/dryriseband - check out Dry Rise cover of Kerbdog's "Dragging Through" - online to hear now!!! :D

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

I'd be willing to donate some design time for the cover artwork.  Visually it should look like it belongs in their collection...like it was released in 1997 or so and maybe even poke fun at the cover art of the "On the Turn" singles...you know, with the people standing there holding a stop sign or whatever.  Maybe someone holding a beer and a hot dog or bag of potato chips with a taxi cab in the background (after all, Dummy Crusher IS named after Butler's dad's taxi!).

There's another forum that discusses b-sides and who wrote them originally (Kerbdog or otherwise): viewtopic.php?t=6

The complete list (I think?) is below.

Kerbdog - Debaser - Pixies
Kerbdog - Don't Stand In Line - Pailhead
Kerbdog - Dragging Through - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Dyed In The Wool - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Gridlock - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Hard To Live - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - In A Rut - The Ruts
Kerbdog - Kennedy - The Wedding Present
Kerbdog - Kerosene - Big Black
Kerbdog - Mildred Pierce - Sonic Youth
Kerbdog - Mr Clean - The Jam
Kerbdog - My Acquaintance - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - New Day Rising - Hüsker Dü
Kerbdog - Retro Ready - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Same With The Hammer - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Self Inflicted - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Spence - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - Suspect Device - Stiff Little Fingers
Kerbdog - The Fear - Kerbdog
Kerbdog - This Is Not A Love Song - Public Image
Kerbdog - Too Much Too Young - The Specials
Kerbdog - Xenophobia - Kerbdog
Last edited by USAKerbdogFan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragginthru
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by dragginthru »

I have all those songs, some on CD and some on MP3.
So id need WAVs of the ones i dont have (as theres no point it being an mp3 album - its gotta be mint on CD) and also would have to check out the legalities of using the cover tracks?

I like the idea of a parody of the artwork tho :)

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

You might want to add "Something In My Head" onto that list, great song too.

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

Oh yeah...Something in my Head is nice.  It's a Jerusalem Taxis cover.  And Gazz I can provide you with any b-sides (except vinyl maybe) in WAV format so let me know what you need.

I guess we need someone (an entertainment lawyer?) to check into re-releasing the covers...do you think Cormac and company would enjoy their work being re-released?  I'd imagine they might not care either way since there've been DVDs for sale of their shows.  Who knows, maybe it would inspire them to write something new or release songs that were recorded but never released.  Could someone talk to the band about it?

I count 11 Kerbdog original b-sides, 12 covers, plus 5 Live at Concrete tracks and 6 live tracks released on the Mexican Wave singles.  That's a whopping 2-disc set if it's all released...and if anyone is drooling over the thought of the 3-track demo with End of Green and two other songs...I forget the names but they could be included too.

...purchase price only $6 - lol!
Last edited by USAKerbdogFan on Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

maybe someone should ask or pm daragh butler,im sure hed know the ins and outs of music legality etc...
they mostly come on wedesdays,mostly

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Lads I dont want to rain on anybodies parade but if you're talking about an offial album release theres a whole lot more to it then just getting a high quality wav of the original tracks. These days a lot of retail outlets and online stores only purchase stock from specific distibution labels so thats an obstacle straight away. The fact that most of these b-sides were recorded in different studios, at different times, different levels of sound quality and at varying volume levels means it would have to be properly mastered. Getting that done to a professional standard for commercial release wont be cheap. There really are a lot of factors involved in doing something on this kind of scale. To be honest Id say you're best off getting the bands permission first and then just having a forum or private release, similar to the nightmare before christmas dvd. For what its worth thats my 2 cents anyway.

brian
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by brian »

this would be great but my main concern is - who owns the publishing rights for the songs?
i don't think the covers would be a problem.
yeah, mastering this would be a nightmare. it would need a professional. some of the tracks i've got are terrible quality vinyl rips. i would love a official release that might get reviews in kerrang etc, stir up some retrospective interest, but a bootleg album looks the only viable option. could still donate the money to charity!

dragginthru
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by dragginthru »

OK i should redefine what i mean by a "proper" release.

Theres not much difference between a "bootleg" and "proper" release, apart from what you do with it!

Give it a bar code and add it to itunes etc via an independent distributor and its pretty proper as far as I can see. Sell it by yourself with paypal and its bootleg.

I disagree about mastering being as important an issue... whilst it would be nice in an ideal world, nonetheless we could quite easily get it normalised so the tracks are roughly consistent in volume and clean it up enough to sound cohesive :) My drummer has his own studio and very expensive mastering stuff and various rack compressors so he would do it im sure.

But yeah - first the legality issue needs resolving.

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

If you think its that simple by all means work away. Its a great idea but I dont think you're being at all practical about it. Best of luck anyway.

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

to master it properly youd need the original tapes/tracks,messing with levels on wav files will ultimately lose quality somewhere.
they mostly come on wedesdays,mostly

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

Gazz what do you suggest about getting the legal stuff resolved?  Talk to the band or something else?