Billy's contribution to On the Turn

Anything Kerbdog related
memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Billy's contribution to On the Turn

Post by memson »

I was thinking (hmmm.... maybe not a good thing..?) Billy is credited with playing guitar on On the Turn (believe it or not, he is... I had to check, but he is..) Anyone remember ever seeing listed how much he played on? It doesn't list specific tracks (or I didn't look hard enough), but I'd be fascinated to know, like! Maybe the Kilkenny show tells a bit of the story (like he played on some OTT stuff), but, but, but... (?!?!)

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Billy's contribution to On the Turn

Post by mexicanwaver »

I remember reading an interview with the band a while back (it will be on the web somewhere) and when asked about the part that Billy played in the recording of OTT they answered "A big part".....or something along those lines.

I'd be surprised if he didn't make some contribution (either writing or actual recording) to the guitar parts on most of the OTT songs.

By the way, don't you just love GGGarth's description of the OTT recording sessions:

"We did one record with a band named Kerbdog, and we started off with about 25 cabinets and amps. It took about two days just to go through 'em all, but we got the best sounds that we have ever gotten. We used old Les Pauls, old Strats and Teles, different strings, different pickups."
I dance to all the wrong songs. I enjoy all the wrong moves...

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

I was thinking - he must have played on some of the songs. They would have been written before recording, so I guess he would have been involved.

I wonder if Darragh will comment? ;D

fyfe79
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by fyfe79 »

I always assumed he played a full part on all the tracks.

Think about it, they recorded it in Los Angeles so he was hardly there just for laugh. He was there as a full-time member. I think I read somewhere that once they got back to Ireland after recording the album, Billy said he wanted out. Could be wrong!

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

fyfe79 wrote: I always assumed he played a full part on all the tracks.
TBH, everything is quite vague concerning his departure. Then again, the entire Kerbdog "history" peddled on a number of sites is quite bizzare. A load of them perpetuate the old bio that was extremely exagerated and full of obvious humour. You know, the "Christian brothers" one. I don't remember exactly what was and wasn't true, but I remember being told once that a load of it was fabricated or exagerated  ;)

Darragh
Kerbdog Band Member
Kerbdog Band Member

Post by Darragh »

Billy played on every track, attended every practice, pre-production, recording session, mixing and mastering for OTT and everything else we ever did previous to that. He was as much a part of Kerbdog as any of us until he left a few months after returning from los angeles.
D.

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

Darragh wrote: He was as much a part of Kerbdog as any of us until he left a few months after returning from los angeles.
Cool :) Thanks for the clarification Darragh. It's always been something I wondered about. I though he *must* have been pretty involved. It's great to clear up the confusion, because I guess everyone wondered and no one really knew.

What's the story behind the Sally B-Side sessions? Were they the first non-Billy stuff, or .. well, when were they recorded in relation to OTT? I've always assumed after, but..?

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

i would think that they would be after too. they have a different sound to them compared to OTT

TheSingularity
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by TheSingularity »

I generally just enjoy the songs.

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

TheSingularity wrote: I generally just enjoy the songs.
Agreed! But a Kerbdog with Billy is much cooler than without! I listened to the S/T album on repeat for about 2 years until OTT came out. But I didn't read a lot about what was going on with Kerbdog. The whole Billy leaving thing completely happened without me noticing. It wasn't till I saw them in '96 that I even realised that they were a 3 piece by then. Given that OTT came out after that point and they played all the OTT songs live pretty much, it's hard to know whether Billy played on any specific songs. WHich is why I asked, and it's why it's great that Darragh clarified the point.

Darragh, I definately wasn't trying to belittle Billy's contribution. I'm actually extremely excited he is involved again (even if it's just for the one gig! Hopefully more?)

This also sort of dispells two more myths:

1) Mexican Wave is about Billy's departure - seen this one on the web in a number of places. I'm guessing it's incorrect? I'm guessing it was recorded well before he left, possibly before he even indicated he wanted to leave?

2) The reason the two albums sound so different is that Billy left. I never knew whether this one was true or not - obviously not. The truth, I spose, is that OTT is a just lot more Sugar/Bob Mold and less Grunge/Metal ... (one of my mates once commented that it's like the next album that Sugar never actually made.. which I'd hope Battle would take as a major compliment!)

trash_the_gaff
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by trash_the_gaff »

If you listen to other stuff Endino and GGGarth produced, there's not really much chance of them sounding like peas in a pod...

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

But tthat's not the reason. Listen to the stuff off of the Earthworks single (mediia library lists it as 'demo'.) Jack Endino had nothing to do with that demo, but musically it fits with the first album. The musical style just 'changed'. Progress.

tell ya too much

Post by tell ya too much »

Whos Roy Z?Hes credited on the album with guitars along with Billy Dalton.What happened to him?

Phily
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phily »

tell ya too much wrote: Whos Roy Z?Hes credited on the album with guitars along with Billy Dalton.What happened to him?
I think hes what yea would call a session guitarist/musician.  Plays for bands while they are recording to help them
-Sorry For The Record-
My Kerbdog/Wilt Collection
OverPlay.net - a cheap UK/US/IE/+ VPN Service for VOD/Streaming

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

royz played guitar for bruce dickinson and produced some iron maiden stuff,kerbdog were under the same management co as iron maiden and dickinson so i guess thats were the connection was made,there is tons of stuff on him if you google him
they mostly come on wedesdays,mostly