Kerbdog tabs?

Anything Kerbdog related
USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Re: Kerbdog tabs?

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

I'd love to know what it is too - post it here if you find out?
I burn a fire to stay cool.

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

USAKerbdogFan wrote: The second guitar part of Xenophobia sounds like a bass guitar playing a walking bass line with some sliding up and down the fretboard and a REALLY thick chorus effect applied.  There may also be an octave effect (one up, one down) on that bass guitar sound.  I suppose you could play the same notes on a guitar (especially if you have an octaver pedal), but I'd recommend using a bass guitar to figure the notes out first.
what you're hear is the bassline, thats easy enough.
listen to it again, the first guitar plays D D E G once, then a second guitar joins in playing something similar but with more attention to higher notes over the reapeating original riff. the bass, drums & vocals kick in together after 4 bars of the dual guitars.
it's that subtle 2nd guitar piece that comes in on the 5th bar before the other instruments that i'm having trouble with.

i still love the opening riff, i think i've ripped it off in almost every band i've been in lol.

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

yeah i love  the intro riff from xenophobia. is someone trying to figure it out? would be great if someone could figure it out

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

Oh man that's subtle...I hear it now that I know what to listen for.  A program called EZ Stretch would help slow the song down without changing pitch - that could be useful in this case.  Also if you adjust the hell out of the EQ you could probably reduce the volume level of some of the other distracting instruments.  I bet you already tried that though.

I wonder if Cormac or the others have a secret or something with what we chat about on here.  Like, maybe they come just to read what a few people have to say about them.

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

i hope they do. it would be cool to know for them to know that us fans still care about kerbdog.

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

anyone know where i can download a tab template?
...in the rare chance i find the effort to transcribe some tunes on to paper... er, computer screen!

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

you can try use powertab. its free. or you can use guitar pro which isn't free but i have it so maybe i can help you?

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

just looking for a tab stave template that i can easily edit by punching in didgits.
i know i could write out tabs using any word processor but i'm a lazy bastard.
how does power tab & guitar pro work?

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

its basically like tabbing out the song but when you do it properly it plays it for you too so you can play along with it. guitar pro is better as you can add drums and bass and powertab can only have guitar. plus guitar pro has a realistic sound engine whereas powertab just uses midi sounds.

guitar pro is fairly versatile. check this out to see what i mean http://youtube.com/watch?v=EFU9kC_k2IY

brain-dive

Post by brain-dive »

hi i'm new here :)
i think that sally tab on page 2 is pretty accurate but i prefer how it sounds when played with normal power chords in EADGBe tuning

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

ok guys i think we should get serious about this tabbing business!! the people deserve the tabs to these wonderful magical songs!! startin tomorrow i'll do one song and each day i'll try figure out a new song. and if anyone wants to help then thats great! contributions are welcome!

USAKerbdogFan
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by USAKerbdogFan »

If we're going to get serious about tabbing it needs to be methodical.  Start at the beginning of an album and work toward the end.

I would like to add that ALL songs on "On The Turn" are in drop-D...NO exceptions.

Most songs on the "Self-titled" album are in drop-D except for the last 4 tracks...The Inseminator, Clock, Schism, and Scram.

As for the B-side originals...
Drop-D: Same with the Hammer, Xenophobia and ALL "On The Turn" era B-sides
E-Standard: Self Inflicted and probably all of the "Self-titled" era B-sides

I'm no musical genius but my ear for pitch is good enough to know.  Some songs may sound better in E-standard or Eb-standard, but that's a key change.  When you change the key of a song it can sound more appealing or be appealing to different types of people.

Because Cormac plays a right-handed guitar upside down, his playing has what I guess I would call a reverse intonation (don't know the musical term).  The high strings are played before the low strings, so the chord sounds different.

Try strumming power chords with all up-strokes instead of down-strokes.  You can hear the difference.  That's part of why the songs are so hard to figure out.  And he's a darn good guitarist.  That too.

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

yeah you're right. we should start with "On The Turn". we're all agreed that all the songs on that are Drop-D.

we should start from Didn't Even Try and work that way to the end.

ok i'll throw up a version and you all tell me what you think.

oh and yeah he's a very creative and talented guitarist.

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

USAKerbdogFan wrote: If we're going to get serious about tabbing it needs to be methodical.  Start at the beginning of an album and work toward the end.

I would like to add that ALL songs on "On The Turn" are in drop-D...NO exceptions.

Most songs on the "Self-titled" album are in drop-D except for the last 4 tracks...The Inseminator, Clock, Schism, and Scram.

As for the B-side originals...
Drop-D: Same with the Hammer, Xenophobia and ALL "On The Turn" era B-sides
E-Standard: Self Inflicted and probably all of the "Self-titled" era B-sides

I'm no musical genius but my ear for pitch is good enough to know.  Some songs may sound better in E-standard or Eb-standard, but that's a key change.  When you change the key of a song it can sound more appealing or be appealing to different types of people.

Because Cormac plays a right-handed guitar upside down, his playing has what I guess I would call a reverse intonation (don't know the musical term).  The high strings are played before the low strings, so the chord sounds different.

Try strumming power chords with all up-strokes instead of down-strokes.  You can hear the difference.  That's part of why the songs are so hard to figure out.  And he's a darn good guitarist.  That too.
what he said!!!
cormac had a unique sound because he was playing the guitar upside down and played variations of chords that most of us would just play as powerchords. with some clever fingering on the fretboard most of the tunes can be played with a regular set up although the movements are kinda awkward.
so hows this tab library thing gonna work? i could def tab a few tunes, it's just finding the time!

ninjated
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by ninjated »

also, just a thought...
how many people hit this forum?
and how many people are trying to tab out the tunes & learn the lyrics?
if there's enough it sounds like a good time for people to group up & record a song towards a kerbdog tribute album. for fun if nothing else!
just an idea!!!