Kerbdog tabs?

Anything Kerbdog related
philamental

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by philamental »

Greetings fellow Kerbdog fans!

Been lurking since november when I found the place while surfing for Kerbdog info ahead of the gigs. Was at the Cruiscin for the Cork gig. Truly superb overall despite numerous feckups (which kinda added to the enjoyment).

Anyhoo, as an intermediate bedroom guitarist, I'd be interested in knowing if anybody has any good tabs for any song?

I've decided to play more regularly again after not finding the time over the past 8 years or so and I don't really have the time or the ear to accurately figure out most tunes, or can only work out a riff here and there. It seems like most are in Drop-D but I'm not even sure of that. Only tabs I found online were rubbish.

All replies welcome. For most of the cork gig, I was too far back to see what chords Cormac was playing, and when I moved up the front for JJ's at the end, I still had some f***n(ignore my posts, I'm a forum spammer)et's head blocking Cormac's right hand! I'm hoping that the DVD will shed some light on the subject if nothing else as from the trailer it looks like there should be some good shots to help me figure out riffs and chords.

Cheers fellas,

Phil
Last edited by Phily on Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

Well Phil, I also would love to get some (accurate) tabs....although I have worked out some of the songs for myself. Sadly, a lot of the ones I've found on the web previously just haven't been good enough....or in some cases were totally off the mark!

Anyway, a couple of points to bear in mind....

Firstly, I don't know if you're aware, but Cormac plays his guitar STRUNG upside down. He's left handed, plays a right-handed guitar, but leaves it strung as a right-hander. So this makes it very confusing to try and fathom out what he's playing just by watching him!

Secondly, I once asked Cormac if he used any alternate tunings for the 'On The Turn' album, as I could never seem to get the same kind of 'twang' when playing the songs. He said it was just recorded in drop-D.....but he said the fact that he plays his guitar upside down maybe makes it sound slightly different (the strumming is different).

dan
I dance to all the wrong songs. I enjoy all the wrong moves...

philamental

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by philamental »

Hi Dan, thanks for replying.

Firstly I had no idea that Cormac played 'upside down'! (last time I saw any videos was way back in the early days and before I played guitar myself) That's actually quite fascinating! I always assumed he restrung a right handed guitar for a left hander ala Hendrix. I guess it does make a bit of sense to me now because the two times I saw the boys in Cork last year, I subconsiously found it strange how I couldn't really recognise any of the chord shapes that Cormac was using. I always thought I was possibly too far back. Anyhoo, knowing this now will make a huge difference especially when watching Dave's forthcoming DVD as it will kinda be like reading TAB directly now. :)

It's also good to know its Drop-D all the way. Nothing worse than spending hours trying to work out a song and not getting close due to the fact the song is in a different tuning.

Thanks again for the reply, fella. Your info was definitely of help and interest.

Phil

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

No worries Phil, glad to be able to help.

Some of the songs may need the guitar to be tuned to Eb instead of E (so effectively it will be drop-Db instead of drop-D). But I'm sure you 'll notice which songs (if any) need it!

From what I remember Cormac always seemed to favour a couple of chord shapes, that he'd use up and down the neck. But I never worked out what these were exactly.

philamental

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by philamental »

Thanks again, fella. I'll keep an ear out for the Drop Db.

Drop D players often seem to stick to a few basic shapes alright. That's why I was hoping to get even one accurate tab as I felt I'd learn a lot about what types of chords are generally used from that. No matter though. I'll just stick on the mp3s (easier to work off than my vinyl due to the amount of stop/start/rewinding involved) and have a crack off them next time I get a chance.

Phil

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

Yeah, generally you play the 3 bass strings (DAD) at whatever fret, to form a "power chord" (eg. known as F5, F#5, G5, G#5, A5 etc). You use one finger to hold them all down.

Then you can add in some extra notes on the other strings with your other fingers. As I say, not sure which ones Cormac uses though......needs a bit of experimentation I think. I've not really played my electric guitar for the last couple of years, and you just can't really play Kerbdog songs on an acoustic, or without any of the effects!

philamental

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by philamental »

Yep. It's the 'extra' notes that are of interest to me as I can generally work out the straight forward power chord riffs easy enough (OTT main riff for example) but the verse of JJ's is something I couldnt pick up when I tried a few weeks ago (about 15 mins of effort lol). Sounds like open strings in there but not entirely sure. It's for songs like that that the DVD would help loads. I can usually figure out an awkward chord if I know what fret its on.

I'm trying to play guitar regularly for the first time in about 8 years, myself. Never really tried playing Kerbdog 'back in the day' but the recent gig inspired me to give em a bash :)

I wouldn't rule out Kerbdog on an acoustic though. Foo Fighter's 'Everlong' is also a Drop-D distortion fest, but I can play it pretty well on acoustic. I'll definitely end up trying a few KD tunes though as I'm often too lazy to plug in so just reach for the acoustic instead ;)

Phil

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

I never bothered learning the Kerbdog songs back in the day either (probably cos they were too advanced for me at the time). Wish I had done though, as I would probably be really good at them now!

OTT never ceases to amaze me......I mean, I listen to it regularly (it's like a drug) and I never get bored of it. Every time i listen, I hear new subtleties in the music and backing vocals etc. I recently bought some Bose headphones and it sounds awesome through those.

Will be very surprised if, during my whole lifetime, I find an album that has the same effect on me as OTT has done!

philamental

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by philamental »

I know exactly what you're saying, Dan!

I really hadn't listened to Kerbdog in years until I saw them at the early part of last year and was shocked I had forgotten how good the albums are. I immediately put them both on my 1GB mp3 player for my listening pleasure, and as I do a lot of commuting and keep my player on shuffle I was hearing a lot of Kerbdog every single day and never got tired of them.

In fact, I regularly take albums off the mp3 player to make room for new ones or ones I hadn't heard in a while and Kerbdog was the only band that never got replaced until I recently took them off simply because I didn't want to risk overplaying them (even though it doesnt seem possible!) after listening everyday for almost a year.

I must try listening on quality headphones like you've said. That definitely sounds like bliss :)

Phil

Phily
Administrator
Administrator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by Phily »

Anyone want to post any tabs to Kerbdog songs? I'm sure I could make a special section or even a wiki if needed.
-Sorry For The Record-
My Kerbdog/Wilt Collection
OverPlay.net - a cheap UK/US/IE/+ VPN Service for VOD/Streaming

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

Sure, open up a section, then I will add them as and when I've tabbed some.

Kerbpuppy
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by Kerbpuppy »

Hey guys... Most of the 'dog songs are easy enough to pick up with a bit of practice, but from what I can make out, Cormac's favourite shape (and mine!!) is to play the lower 2 strings in the normal drop D power cord shape, and then the next 2 strings up, he plays 2 frets up. As if you're playing a power cord on a regularly tuned guitar (plus an extra low string)... So the verse for JJ's song is just... (by my ear anyway!)

4 4 4 4 / 6 6 / 8 8 8 8
4 4 4 4 / 6 6 / 8 8 8 8
2 2 2 2 / 4 4 / 6 6 6 6
2 2 2 2 / 4 4 / 6 6 6 6

Kinda' thing.... Does that make sense...?!

Page Hamilton from Helmet does a similar thing but another string up...

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

Hi kerbpuppy,

Yeah that makes sense and it's a nice shape. I just tried playing along to JJ's Song and it sounds about right.

But if you drop the guitar down to Eb tuning (then put it in drop-D).....so, instead of playing the chords you mention at frets 2, 4 and 6, it becomes 3, 5 and 7.....I think this sounds better because of the harmonics on the other 'unplayed' strings (noticable on the stoppy-starty muted bits)......so I'd hazard a guess that this is what Cormac uses.

Of course, I may be wrong!

Any idea what the guitar is on the chorus? The general chords are easy enough, but the main guitar part is playing something light over the top of the bass line.

Kerbpuppy
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by Kerbpuppy »

Hmmm, never thought he might play it in Eb...

I'm not convinced he does, because in the chorus there's an open drop d, which would be played as an F (Eb) if he tuned to Eb...

Dunno... I'll have a go next time I have a geetar in my hands...

Re the chorus, not sure, I just play the main bit...

Gotta go, internet runs out in 1 minute... Laters!

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Kerbdog tabs?

Post by mexicanwaver »

I was playing something like this on the chorus the other day (in Eb, drop-D).....

3 / x / 2 / x
3 / 3 / 2 / 1
1 / 3 / 0 / 1
x / 3 / 0 / 1

It seemed to fit nicely. But this is just following the bass line and the actual main guitar part on the CD is different......like I said, something lighter over the top.