new project 1st song uploaded

Wanna post about your band, post about them in here with a link or two to some tracks
pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

new project 1st song uploaded

Post by pledge »

I've just started a new project called Tame,I did everything: guitars,bass,drums,production,recording and wrote all the songs.

Hope you like it and let us know what you think (but don't be too mean ;D)

my new song is called "spacegirl"

http://www.myspace.com/tamemarv

Peace
Last edited by pledge on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: new project 1st song uploaded

Post by mexicanwaver »

Nice work dude, it's catchy and has a nice groove - I like it.

On the constructive side, I think the vocals could be a bit more prominent in the mix and the guitars could maybe benefit from some EQ tweaking. But ultimately it's your baby and I guess you know what sounds you're looking for.
I dance to all the wrong songs. I enjoy all the wrong moves...

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

Thanks for the input. I seem to struggle on eq for my guitars. I use a zoom g2 for the distortion but i'm not happy with it as its not the crunch i need. I use cubase sx 3 for recording, and i just can't get the guitars sounding wright on the guitars via the EQ. I'm still learning but i cannot find solid info on the net about EQ guitars. I try not to blend the sound of the guitars together, but everytime i record them its hard to pick out the parts when mixing. i know about panning and that but the eq i just can't do.

Can you  point me in the wright direction?

I was thinking of getting a marshall MG30DFX for my overdrive as i used them at music college a few years ago and i love the sound they create.
I know the sound i want - clear and distorted all at the same time, so each guitar part stands out but i struggle
Last edited by pledge on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mexicanwaver »

Yeah, I know what you mean about trying to find a good distorted but clear sound. It's a constant search really!

Each of your instruments will use different frequencies in its range. Eg. the guitars use a different range than the bass, which is different from the vocals etc etc. (But there are some frequency overlaps too).

You should aim to cut out (remove) the frequencies that aren't being used in each track. This will ultimately add more "space" to the mix and let the overall mix breathe....for want of a better expression. It stops things getting too muddied. You can also boost those particular frequencies that you do want to hear more of (but beware of over-doing it). So you might be able to apply these principles to your different guitar parts on different tracks and in different songs. There is a lot of trial and error involved in order to learn and improve, but it helps if you can know a bit of the theory to point you in the right direction.

So.....I don't know if you've ever used the MusicRadar website, but they have some good free tutorials on there (specifically there are a few for EQ). They also have a user forum where you can post questions/discussions.....very useful for things like this! There's always a boffin who will give you an answer.

Good luck!

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

Cheer dude 8)

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

i got a new mix of my song, the download link is only valid for 7 days though, so please check it out, it will also be uploaded to myspace soon once it is finally mixed:

https://rcpt.yousendit.com/601673211/689324f3786bb65bf8bfafa119fcf424

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mexicanwaver »

Put it in MP3 format dude, that WAV file is massive ;)

It's sounding sweet though! The vocal sits much more nicely in the mix and the guitars are SO much clearer.

One slight point is that I notice some hiss in the last few seconds of the track (which will also be there all the way through but is not really noticeable when all instruments are playing). Did you run any hiss reduction or noise reduction process over it yet?
Last edited by mexicanwaver on Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

Thanks man.,Yep it needs NR but thats gonna be done once its fully mastered. Hopefully then it will be sorted. It needs a couple of eq tweaks here and there but its getting there. 8)

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

i have uploaded it my space. Not too keen on myspace bitrate but its ok:

http://www.myspace.com/tamemarv

If any bands/people out there send us a friend request 8)

pledge
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by pledge »

i have finally finished my song here is the final mix in mp3 form hope you like it and its also on myspace :

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?xwnaqqzsvtn

Well i better get on trying to finish my other songs off. 8)