Three songs that reminded me of Kerbdog

Anything Kerbdog related
End-of-Greengrocer
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Three songs that reminded me of Kerbdog

Post by End-of-Greengrocer »

I can only think of three occasions when a song or band instantly reminded me of Kerbdog. Anyone else have good examples?

The first is a band called L.A.W (Life after Weekend), a German band that released two albums before splitting up. This song  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyT6cEDCscM&feature=related) reminds me a little of Kerbdog's first album. The problem is the album in question is spotty in terms of a consistent sound - some great songs that sound like they belong on a different album to another three, and then another three again, and then another three again.

The second is a song called RX Coup by a band called Sparta. I bought the album on the basis of this song. That was a mistake! :-) There's just a turn in the chorus that really reminded me of things Kerbdog did on pretty much every song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qGPB2wBU8w

The last one is a little obvious, seeming as they are self-proclaimed admirers of Kerbdog. But Biffy Clyro's The Golden Rule sounds incredibly Kerbdog-like at points, the only song of theirs I've heard that actually does. Here it is, if you've never heard it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWUF2oiWe2I

trevufc

Re: Three songs that reminded me of Kerbdog

Post by trevufc »

Biffy have gone on record to say they used producer GGGGarth to get the guitar sounds like Kerbdog did on "On The Turn".
Major similarities. Also same can be said for the Gallows lp "Grey Britain" again with GGGGarth producing.

End-of-Greengrocer
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

trevufc wrote: Biffy have gone on record to say they used producer GGGGarth to get the guitar sounds like Kerbdog did on "On The Turn".
Major similarities. Also same can be said for the Gallows lp "Grey Britain" again with GGGGarth producing.
Yeah, I knew Biffy had gone out of their way to use GGGGarth, but I can only really hear the similarities in Golden Rule for some reason ... and very briefly in one or two other songs for a split second or two. But obviously there's only so much a producer can do - I think the special thing about OTT is that there are a whole bunch of elements that are fairly unique. Cormac's voice retains its 'Irishness' and has a very unique tone I think. The GGGGarth production ... and then of course the songs themselves, that mixture of energy, edge and melody.

Even End of Green, a very different album obviously, is still a really unique album that I can't draw comparisons with.

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

dinosaur pile up,growing pains.heavy drop-d guitars and sweet melodies,a lot of weezer stuff is very kerbdogish
they mostly come on wedesdays,mostly

ontheturn

Post by ontheturn »

youtube the band salvador dream and search the song "move on"
ould you have a little patience,i know i really didnt mean it.

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

I've never found a band that fully does it for me. This is for a few reasons. Firstly, there's kind of two and a half versions of Kerbdog - the Self titled album (won't call it by the name above, as it was never called that on the official UK release) is very far removed from On The Turn. Sitting in the middle is the mini album that makes up the Sally B-sides. Listen to the 15 original songs that make up the Kerbdog of 1992-1994 then listen to OTT. It's like a different band really. Secondly, Battle has such a unique guitar technique, it pushes the material in a different direction than normal. The shortcomings of playing a guitar upside down became a silver bullet in their sound. Lastly, I hear more bands *in* their sound than "like" their sound.

So, I can't name you three bands, coz for e they don't exist. But here are some bands I listen to and associate with Kerbdog:

1) Some of the songs on the Gruntruck album Push sound like the Self titled album - but then it was recorded by Jack Endino and Battle has stated they liked the sound he got for Gruntruck and that's why they chose him. ( I'd also put forward Tad's Endino produced stuff, and oddly Inhaler too )
2) Helmet - there are some really Helmentish moments on the Self titled album. "Betty" is a good album to check out.
3) Seven Storey Mountain - some one once recommended me this band's EP "Based on a true story" and as oldschool (aka. "real") EMO as it is, they do have a quality to their songs.
4) Sugar - Copper Blue is like a blue print for OTT. Throw in some REM and a little nod to the metal goodness of the first one, and there you go.
5) Weezer - blue album. More poppy, but very similar feeling

There are other things I think I like because of Kerbdog. But I've never found a band not trying to rip them off that sounds like them.

These are more "difficult" to find:

a) REM - there are some very REM moments. Battle seems to always have had an affinity to Stipe et al.
b) Okay this one will make you scratch your heads, but Level42. You really have to strain on this one, but there are some really Level42 moments in a few Kerbdog songs (and more in Wilt.) Take "running in the Family" listen to the Chorus and bridge then listen to "Sorry for the record".

To be honest, ignore me, it's all waffle. They're unique.  ;)

memson
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by memson »

Your issue with Sparta is that Jim writes songs that sound like At The Drive-In songs with Omar and Cedric yanked out. At the Drive-In probably rate as high as Kerbdog in my internal ranking system. Sparta I can listen to, but are not as good.

One other observation - a lot of what makes Kerbdog songs so different is that whilst they're mainly in standard timings and have a reasonably formulaic structure, they often have f**king amazing hooks in them. With out the hooks and clever timing/tempo shifts, they wouldn't be as amazing.

End-of-Greengrocer
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Heya Memson,

Great replies. I agree with pretty much everything you say. Funnily enough, I only stumbled on Sugar the day before I originally wrote this thread, but didn't mention them because I wasn't sure at the time. I found Sugar by reading comments about OTT on Amazon!! Where someone said they hadn't felt as electrified by an album since Copper. So I checked it out.

And you're dead right ... it's got some eerie similarities in terms of how the voice and guitars layer up, plus the lovely melancholic/pop hooks that they go for.

Like most great music, or art in general I guess, it's easy to see the links to the past and the influences when they're put in front of you, but it's always whatever new angle the artist brings that makes the difference in the end. And in Kerbdog's case, I think their sound summarises a meeting of eras, which is why they're so unique. Metal meets pop meets grunge, in a way that is always going to be their own because it's partly down to the fleeting influences around them at the time.

End-of-Greengrocer
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

andovesblavksmgdth wrote: I really love to read some articles that have great positive impacts on its reader and benefit by reading such article especially concerning Gold and the stock market. I admire these writers in sharing their views and or opinions that can enlighten the mind of the readers.
I also like gold.

Mark1975

Post by Mark1975 »

I have to say the only band I've heard that sounds remotely like Kerbdog in terms of sound, vocals, dynamics etc is Kids Near Water. Sadly dropped by their label for not shifting enough units in time but a great band all the same. Saw them play in Cardiff a few years ago supporting Jonah Mantranga from Far and they put on a good show. Anyone else heard of them?