I think Kerbdog.com has completed its task -time to move on?

Anything Kerbdog related
Phily
Administrator
Administrator

I think Kerbdog.com has completed its task -time to move on?

Post by Phily »

Hey all,
When I took up the Kerbdog.com domain, I didn't have much of a plan for it way back in 2004. Over time and after a nudge/kicking I threw together the forum and folks started to join slowly from other scattered chat groups (a Yahoo group comes to mind?) and chatting about the band, their music and experiences at gigs.

Some great members over the years brought a wealth of information, clearing the history of the band, their second album and much more. We lost the whole forum once due to a silly bugger in a data-center, after which some of the best material surfaced. Videos of 'last gigs', the first gigs of Wilt and then with the amazing work of DaveGefow the 'Nightmare Before Christmas' filming and DVD was produced and shared.

The band is now performing a good few gigs, both albums have been released and there is an upcoming live album from the 2012 gigs. Sweeeeet eh?

I'd like to think that the forum and the many active and past active members had a large hand in the resurrection of the band and the many many many 'final gigs' :) While I don't think any of them ever got a mention from the band or other channels, I'd like to say, thank you. Your chatting, gathering of info, posting, sourcing photos, news cuttings have had a large part in raising the profile of the band. Another thank you to Krustofsky & Mexicanwaver for your moderation work, of late its been a big mad with the spamming and also the server admin/hosting lad :) Jay, your a class act yea fecker.

Right - so, the future - big question is do we continue the forum? It is becoming a complete PITA with all of the spammers of late. I'm busy with work/life, don't have time to post news about gigs (just like the many that have been announced for 2013!) and in the back of my mind the forum/forum users haven't ever been mentioned by the band itself...

This is prob just a late night blurb - anywho, maybe you want to be an admin? :D

...thoughts?

Kerb-Kuff
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Re: I think Kerbdog.com has completed its task -time to move

Post by Kerb-Kuff »

Hey dude

I'm been around for a while, in fact the forum really helped me reconnect with the band and find out about those reunion shows... I'm happy to be an admin if it allows us to keep the new gig updates coming and reduces the spams

I'd hate to see the site just vanish now

Thanks
John in Glasgow

miece
Kerbdog.com Roadie
Kerbdog.com Roadie

Post by miece »

I'd be happy to moderate also. I dont want to see the memory of this great band disappear.

Keith from Kilkenny

Kerb-Kuff
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by Kerb-Kuff »

So is that a no?

Or did u sober up and rethink

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

Unless some new material arises i can only see interest dwindeling,phil has put a lot of time/work/money from his own pocket to keep this site add free and on the go since 2004.also a lot of regular users spent a lot of time posting pics,videos press cuttings etc .Darragh himself is a frequent visitor.
A lot of fans would have typed kerbdog into google for nostalgic reasons and came accross this site and found out about the re-union,gigs and all the other news and info this site has provided which has no doubht kept the momentum with little or no input/interest from the band themselves.
Kerbdog.com has acheieved what phil set out to do which was keeping and raising the profile of kerbdog.
I will remain an admin for as long as phil wants me to be.
I honestly would like to hear a thank you/the odd mention of kerbog.com in interviews as i think its well overdue and deserved as as i said before a lot of work has gone in here,but to date i havent heard one mention in an interview,at a gig or otherwise.
Im not saying they wouldnt be still together if it wasnt for this site but i do believe it has played a much bigger part than the band themselves have shown to appreciate.

End-of-Greengrocer
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by End-of-Greengrocer »

I just want to say thanks for the site and show my appreciation for all the work you've done over the years. It's just the way of the internet that it goes unnoticed and without credit, so don't feel too bad about that. I certainly appreciate it, so thanks again. Regarding the band, I think the website helped a huge amount in keeping their memory alive - even for a big fan like myself - but I also think that your complaints about acknowledgment are a little unfair.

At the end of the day, this is a fan's website for fans ... just because the band are local and regular Joes like you and I doesn't mean they should be thanking you for your (brilliant) fan service. That's for the other fans to do - so again, I say thank you. I want to see the site survive. I want here to be the first place I discover new material, which I still think will happen at some point. Kerbdog.com is a comfort to me too, living abroad as I am these days, a little part of my life and my home to return to every now and then.

Anyway, don't let the site die - and don't worry about the spam. Doesn't bother me at least.

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

End-of-Greengrocer wrote: - but I also think that your complaints about acknowledgment are a little unfair.
just because the band are local and regular Joes like you and I doesn't mean they should be thanking you for your (brilliant) fan service.
no one is expecting cormac,darragh or colin to get down on their knees ,i hardly think that getting some acknowledgment is a "little unfair"givith the time/work/money thats been put in here 99% of which came from phil`s own time and pocket.

Back in the days of wilt it sorta churned my stomach that id never hear pointless or end of green ever played live again so i guess getting to see the best band from ireland playing live again is good enough.Saying that i would lo ve to see wilt play again.
To be fair Darragh is a frequent visitor and a very nice chap.

I`ve been playing in bands on and off for the past 16 years,seen/played with some great bands that had potential to be huge (a band called home star runner come to mind)but the way the irsh music industry is if kerbdog cant get a decent deal/contract(there isnt much hope for the rest of us) and i know for a fact if they got pushed and promoted properly thay would be huge in america.You have to rip up pictures of the pope or try and feed africa before an irish band can get some international recognition.

Getiing back on topic a little mention in an interview for example "check kerbdog.com for all our latest info"isnt unfair and no-one here is expecting never ending thank yous.The appreciation from the regular forum users and gettin to see a band that rocked(and still continue too)the balls off me and phil and all the other hardcore fans all them years ago playing live again is a dream come true.

Tony Montana
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by Tony Montana »

If Phily feels it's time to call it a day, I can understand and respect that. I don't have the time and resources to run and maintain a site such as this, so can hardly complain when someone else has been doing it for so long, but feels it's time to move on.

I do feel the site has been key in keeping the Kerbdog flag flying, especially with it's excellent media gallery, but perhaps in the day of Facebook and Twitter, fans are no longer seeking out individual band sites for updates.

If this is the end of the site, I just want to say thanks to all involved. During the noughties I was living overseas, and if it had not been for this site I wouldn't have known about the reunion gigs and would have missed them, also wouldn't have gotten a copy of the 'Nightmare Before Christmas' dvd. On the other hand, if the site continues, I'll continue to visit, and occasionally post (cos I'm a lazy bastard poster).

krustofsky
Administrator
Administrator

Post by krustofsky »

Tony Montana wrote:
I do feel the site has been key in keeping the Kerbdog flag flying, especially with it's excellent media gallery, but perhaps in the day of Facebook and Twitter, fans are no longer seeking out individual band sites for updates.

).
true,most bands spend more time using myspace/twitter/facebook as their main internet resource than dotcom pages.social media is and has been the way forward,saying that sites like this which has been add free and not in your face trying to sell you merchandise are a rarity,again fair play phil.

Pointless
Kerbdog.com Believer
Kerbdog.com Believer

Post by Pointless »

Given that the albums are now more widely available maybe its a good idea to call it a day. I originally came to this site to find the first album but got so much more. Maybe we could update the band's Wiki page with correct info so we have a lasting record of a great band? I think we all still have questions about Kerbdog that never seem to get answered by Cormac when he is interviewed but I guess the band have lives to get on with.

Well done to all who have contributed to this site by the way.

Phily
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phily »

Kerb-Kuff / miece - Welcome to the Global Moderators of Kerbdog.com :D

mexicanwaver
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by mexicanwaver »

Phily - firstly, thanks for all the hard work and dedication over the last few years in getting the "Kerbdog scene" kick-started again. Particularly in the time before Facebook, this forum was the ONLY place to properly bring the fans together. I take my hat off to ya!

As for moving forward, I agree that perhaps the forum has served it's purpose. And now with the Kerbdog page(s) on Facebook, at least there is another common meeting place for fans to connect and for the band to share gig news.

I see you've added a couple of folks as Admins already, so perhaps we're gonna give that a go for a while? If so, feel free to upgrade me to Admin and I'll do my best to fight the copious amounts of spam that seem to be infecting the forums at the moment :-/

Cheers dude!

Phily
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phily »

Hey folks,
FYI that the forum is now in read-only mode - the amount of spam, the lack of users using the forum and with Kerbdog not using their bookface page for new of upcoming gigs etc. there isn't really a need for the site.

Its been great folks :D